Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"Let's Go Down to the Old West End"


O.K. I'm not going to pretend like he's not my brother, but I don't think that that should completely discredit my opinion when I tell you to go to the historic pillar of drink, The Dominion House (3140 Sandwich)on Wednesday (and Tuesday) nights to hear some authentic West End jams. Kenneth has put a lot of miles on his musical odometer and the crew he's got behind him now are as good as any ensemble I have heard him with.

Kenneth's old stompin' ground was the now fallen, but not forgotten, Bridge Tavern on the corner of University and Bridge Ave. If those walls could talk, they'd probably ask to be thrown up on less. That place was home to a large following who has, in the face of tragedy, emigrated further West to the D.H. where more than a century of patrons have drank before. The Dominion House is a historic Windsor establishment and the fellas that have been running that place for the last few years truly grasp what comes with that territory. They are lovers of good music and tall pints and in my experience with them, they have been nothing but supportive of local acts and good times. I'm glad Kenneth found a home there, he's been keeping that place jumpin' since he came.

The Windsor Salt Band is made up of: Max Marshall (bass), Mark Calcott (keys), Sally Zolari (drizums) and Kenny fronting the pack on the guit-box, the fiddle, the mandolin and some other appearances here and there. Max has infectious energy to team with his mean licks, Mark plays some accordion and contributes stellar harmonies, Sally is Windsor's baddest lady drummer (if not drummer period) and they all mesh very well together. A quality evening of music in the middle of the week breaks the grind, so head West good people, eat, drink and be merry.

As a shameless plug, I host an open-mic at the D.H. on Tuesday nights,completing what Kenneth and I like to call, "The West End Weekend". It is much more stripped down than Kenneth's night, but I've been there for three years and I still really love how open mics serve an ever-shifting stage of talent. This open mic is very original friendly and has opened me up to some great local talent in Eric Welton, Death or Comber, Merridian, Tara Watts, this old guy who did some very funny stand-up and countless others. I'm always glad to have people coming out and if you play, or know someone who does, please be encouraged in getting up and strumming out a few.

Sorry this post is so freakin long, I don't know what got into me. Here are your sparknote inspired bullets.
blah, blah, blah, Bridge closed, blah, blah, blah, pushing his brother, blah, blah, blah, go to the Dominion House, blah, blah, blah, pushing himself.

Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment